Problem Statement: In Sonoma County, only 23% of English learners enter kindergarten “ready to go,” and only 27% of Latino students read at proficient level by 3rd grade.
Goal of the Program: Pasitos focuses on giving parents of children 3-4 years old information and tools they need to prepare their child to enter school so they are ready to succeed in kindergarten and beyond.
- Weekly parent-child group meetings with stories, songs, and fine-motor activities
- Book bags with bilingual books
- Community resource information
- 27 groups County-wide serving 300 families FY’16-17
- 180% increase in parents reading five or more times per week
- Contact: Marta Flax Tilling, M.S.W.
Title: Assistant Director – School Readiness Program
Phone & Extension: 707-544-6911 x1025
There are 27 playgroups at schools or youth centers throughout Sonoma County; from Cloverdale to Petaluma – Sonoma to Sebastopol including many classes located in Santa Rosa. Participants attend weekly one-and-a-half hour playgroups for 28 to 30 weeks during the school year.
Community Action Partnership (CAP) of Sonoma County and First 5 Sonoma County developed Let’s Go to Kindergarten, a parent booklet that reviews parent and child expectations, offers activity suggestions, and provides helpful tips and information about school readiness. Click links below to download booklets.
Special thanks to our partners: