“After Avance, I noticed a change in my life. I am now more patient, more loving and more sympathetic with my children, my husband and my friends. Avance has it all for learning and educating us as parents as a community.”
Problem Statement: In Sonoma County, only 23% of English learners enter kindergarten “ready to go,” and only 27% of Latino students read at a proficient level by third grade.
Goal of the Program: To empower families to break the cycle of poverty through a family engagement approach combining early childhood development and parenting education.
- Nine-month program with weekly three hour meetings for Spanish speaking parents with children 0-3 years
- Toy-making instruction, intensive parenting/child development class, and community resource information
- Monthly home visits and weekly bookbag exchange
- Six classes at four sites in Santa Rosa and Windsor, serving 145 families with 180 children in FY15-16
- 90% improved score on parenting questionnaire
- 92% read to children three or more times per week
Community Action Partnership (CAP) of Sonoma County and First 5 Sonoma County developed Let’s Go to Kindergarten, a parent booklet that reviews parent and child expectations, offers activity suggestions, and provides helpful tips and information about school readiness. Click links below to download booklets.